शहर के दुकां-दारो

on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Technology is not all bad after-all, but Technology in form of Internet is real blessing.How at times it makes you meet your lost-self, is amazing.

If I'm coerced to live alone by my self and allowed only one song to listen to - I won't think twice to make a decision. It has been a long time since I lost touch of my long-time passion - Gazals/Urdu poetry. At the age of 14 when I got cut away from lazy-yet-live rural Haryana life, I hardly had any taste for urban life or Urdu poetry, not that I care for the first one but later sure was a loss.
Taxing calculus problems, felling solitude among noisy crowds & empty hostel cubicle, 150 Rs transistor-set and a single FM channel revealed this amazing art to me.

That's when I first heard this soul-stirring-yet-soothing song in divine voice of Ustad Nusrat-Fateh-Ali-Khan sahab - शहर के दुकानदारो, and I helplessly fell in love with it, a love for life-time.

With no record players at disposal, I would wait for weeks/months till the song got played in some Gazal program, and the felling was always worth the worth in every sense of the word every single time.
4 Yrs of Engg & finally a job, first thing I "googled", first song I downloaded was this song. I played it over and again; thank heavens, it was digital copy or I could've ended up destroying a hell lot of records for this one song.


And today that I happen to "google" a song again after a long gap, I download the audio/video and lyrics for the song. The song that has been playing in repeat mode for last 2 hours now and this time I'm going to record this incredible experince forever. (for me and for all of you)


शहर के दुकां-दारो (दुकानदारो) कारोबार-इ-उल्फत में, सूद क्या ज़ियाँ क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे |
दिल के दाम कितने हैं, ख्वाब कितने महंगे हैं, और नकद-इ-जान क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, शहर के दुकां-दारो !!!

कारोबार -इ - उल्फत = Business (deeds) of love
सूद - ज़ियाँ = Profit (interest) - loss
नकद -इ -जान = Price of Life

कोई कैसे मिलता है, फुल कैसे खिलता है, आँख कैसे झुकती है, सांस कैसे रूकती है |
कैसे रह निकलती है, कैसे बात चलती है, शौक की ज़बान क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, दुकां-दारो !!!
कैसे रह निकलती है = How the ways (of love) are found
कैसे बात चलती है = How the aficionados (love -struck) converse
शौक की ज़बान = Language of Indulgence (deep -interest /passion)

वस्ल का सुकून क्या है, हिज्र का जूनून क्या है, हुस्न का फुसून क्या है, इश्क के दरूँ क्या है |
तुम मरीज़-इ-दानाई, मसलिहत के सैदाई, राह-इ-गुमरहाँ क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, दुकां-दारो !!!

वस्ल का सुकून = The comfort of seeing loved one
हिज्र का जूनून = Insanity /madness of separation
हुस्न का फुसून = The magic of beauty
इश्क के दरूँ = Inside extensive love
मरीज़ -इ -दानाई = Patient of Wisdom
मसलिहत के सैदाई = Fond (दीवाना) of Protocol
राह -इ -गुमरहाँ = Path of the lost

ज़ख्म कैसे फलते हैं, दाग कैसे जलते हैं, दर्द कैसे होता है, कोई कैसे रोता है |
अश्क क्या है, नाले क्या, दश्त क्या है, छाले क्या, आह का फुगाँ क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, शहर के दुकां-दारो !!!
नाले = Cries / Weepings
दश्त = Forest /Jungle
आह का फुगाँ = The sigh of sorrow

नामुराद दिल कैसे सुबह-ओ-शाम करते हैं, कैसे जिंदा रहते हैं, और कैसे मरते हैं |
तुम को कब नज़र आई गमज़दों की तन्हाई, जीस्त-बे-उमां क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, शहर के दुकां-दारो !!!
नामुराद दिल = Wish -less Hearts
गमज़द = Grief Stricken
जीस्त बे -उमां = Wandering /Meaningless Life


This last stanza is zest of entire Gazal .

जानता हूँ में तुम को जौक-इ-शायरी भी, है शख्सियत सजाने में इक ये माहिरी भी है !
फिर भी हर्फ़ चुनते हो, सिर्फ लफ्ज़ सुनते हो, इन के दरमियान क्या है, तुम ना जान पाओगे ||
शहर के दुकां-दारो, शहर के दुकां-दारो !!!
जौक -इ -शायरी = The good taste in poetry



Even though I don't hold Javed Akhtar Shahab in the same steed as that of Gulzar sahab, Faraz Ahamad and other contemporary epitomes of Urdu poetry, this peice is a true testimony of his writing skills/gift.

You can listen to this(with a beautiful video) on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTp0kSPI1I
and here is a beatiful English translation from another Gazal lover - http://sanasaleem.com/2009/06/23/shehar-kay-dukandaro-o-merchants-of-the-town/

शब्-इ-खैर (Good Night)

0 comments:

Post a Comment